Thursday, June 19, 2008

Midnight Daylight


I landed in Iceland at 11:20pm local time. Thanks to the fine David Sveinbjornson I made it to the place I am staying for the next few days at about 12:45 AM (8:45 EST). The craziest thing is that it is still light outside even as I post. It has the appearance of 8:00 PM on the east coast and does not seem to be fading. 

The flight was uneventful. I watched The Pursuit of Happyness which was a pretty moving film. I think there is something about the love of the main character for his son that just gripped me. I also finished reading C.S. Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet and a literary analysis of Prince Caspian by Gene Veith called The Soul of Prince Caspian. I'm gearing up for my talk on C.S. Lewis and Prince Caspian on Saturday Morning at 10:00 AM.

As we landed and drove up the coast to Reykjavik I was aware of two powerful thoughts.

1. I'm not a big fan of traveling alone. I have not done it much, but it is not the most comfortable type of experience for me. It caused me to really pray and open my heart up to how God wants to use this time of solitude (it won't be all solitude, but more than usual) in my life.

2. I was humbled before the challenge of the bigger mission of living in Iceland for two years to serve the Lord and further his kingdom. I felt like one of the small insignificant animals in Prince Caspian that seemingly could do very little in a great war. It has also caused me to pray and ponder the work that God wants to do in me and ultimately through our family.


No comments: